Evgeni Malkin officially signs for five years and the Crosby-esque number.
All the experts had whispered gleefully such stories as:
- Pittsburgh can't afford him
- Malkin will demand close to cap max ($10-11 million) to consider the Pens
- Malkin wants a trade to get out of Crosby's "shadow"
- Malkin wants to "be the man" in a different team
- Malkin preferred a flashy market like LA to Pittsburgh
- Pittsburgh didn't like the way Malkin didn't "show up" for the SCF finals.
Well, once again they were proven wrong. Evgeni Malkin is certainly in any argument for the best offensive player in the game right now. And he's just about to turn 22, only going to get better as the big guy fills out and learns more about how to win faceoffs.
Great deal for the Penguins to get him in at the Crosby contract level too. They've got two "max" talents signed for the next five and six years respectively for just 76% of this year's max. Got to be happy about that.